- Make someone feel worse for something they already feel bad about. Usually people know when they screw up, but in case they don't, make that your job.
- Always find the negative in every situation. This will effectively cause people to not want to talk to you about things they are excited about.
- Make someone feel small, so you can feel big. When you're insecure, this will help you feel better about yourself.
- Always look for the opportunity to be able to say, “I told you so”. This will help you appear smarter than you really are.
- Burst people's bubbles with “welcome to the real world”-type comments. This will help you feel better about your own disappointments.
- Never encourage people or affirm their strengths. You're doing them a favour by making sure they never become proud.
- Don't acknowledge or validate people's disappointment or pain. You're doing them a favour by helping them not wallow in it.
- Default to “no” unless you have good reasons to say “yes”. Life is usually too easy for some people, so we're really helping them by making it a bit harder.
- Point out other people’s mistakes or imperfections. This is a really effective way to motivate people to improve… and it will help you feel better about yourself.
- And, most importantly… try to never empathize with people. It makes all of the above much easier.
10 Ways to Dishearten People… and the Reasons It’s Important We Do
August 22, 2017
No items found.
Keep connected with us
Stay up to date with the latest news and information from Hungry For Life.